Subscribe: by Email | in Reader

If You Are Reading This -- Lynn Levin

(Poem #169)If You Are Reading This
 GIRL WITH DOG IN RAIN! Sweetheart, where are you now?
 Saw you at 16th and Walnut with your chocolate lab under an awning.
 It was raining parking lights and car horns. I was the guy double-
 parked delivering a tray of bagels to a corporate meeting. Nice stuff, 5
 flavors, cream cheese and chives, butter daisies. Our eyes met, do you
 remember? I can't get you out of my mind. [Box 347]
 
 OLD LADY AT QUIK MART. When I weighed your peppers, you
 said I had my thumb on the scale, then you called over the manager
 who yelled at me and docked my pay. You: Old bag in a tan overcoat,
 muffler, purple pocketbook, evil eye. Me: Goatee, geek glasses, facial
 hardware. Please give me the opportunity to stab you. [Box 1601]
 
 CHAD, LET ME EXPLAIN. That guy you saw me with on R7
 local on Columbus Day meant nothing to me. He's just a commuter.
 Your silent treatment is unbearable! I'm beggin' you baby, come back!
 [Box 776]
 
 PENN CENTER ELEVATORS FROM 16th TO 30th FLOOR. I
 want to push your magic buttons. I want to draw Mona Lisas on your 
 beautiful skin. You: Backless red dress, black heels. Me: Bald guy, 35.
 We rode up together, you got off at 19. I was too shy to talk to you.
 Now full of regrets. How about sushi or tantric sex? [Box 1446]
 
 GUY ON R7 LOCAL OCT. 10, EVENING COMMUTE. You sat
 next to me and suddenly it was Valentine's Day. You liked my Offspring
 button. I told you about med tech school. You let me take your pulse. It
 was almost like holding hands. You: Hilfiger sweatshirt, laptop, got off 
 at Somerton. Me: Hip chick, red hair, Capri jeans. Let's pick up where
 we left off. [Box 777]
 
 YO! YOU THERE ON DEERPATH DR. I'm the telemarketer you
 dissed. Wasn't selling you anything, SOB, just giving you a free estimate
 on kitchen cabinets. I know your number and where you live. Call now
 to apologize. [Box 961]
 
 OFFICEMAX, FEASTERVILLE, YEAR AND A HALF AGO. You:
 long black trenchcoat with three-piece suit. Me: Asian girl with black
 jacket, wet curly hair, tight black pants, sunglasses on my head. You
 stared at me a long time waiting at checkout. We looked at each other
 as you walked out. Will renew until I find you. [Box 1674]
-- Lynn Levin

0 comments: - or Leave a comment

Post a Comment