Subscribe: by Email | in Reader

The Meadow Mouse -- Theodore Roethke

(Poem #31)The Meadow Mouse
 1
 
 In a shoe box stuffed in an old nylon stocking
 Sleeps the baby mouse I found in the meadow,
 Where he trembled and shook beneath a stick
 Till I caught him up by the tail and brought him in,
 Cradled in my hand,
 A little quaker, the whole body of him trembling,
 His absurd whiskers sticking out like a cartoon-mouse,
 His feet like small leaves,
 Little lizard-feet,
 Whitish and spread wide when he tried to struggle away,
 Wriggling like a minuscule puppy.
 
 Now he's eaten his three kinds of cheese and drunk from his
         bottle-cap watering-trough--
 So much he just lies in one corner,
 His tail curled under him, his belly big
 As his head; his bat-like ears
 Twitching, tilting toward the least sound.
 
 Do I imagine he no longer trembles
 When I come close to him?
 He seems no longer to tremble.
 
 2
 
 But this morning the shoe-box house on the back porch is empty.
 Where has he gone, my meadow mouse,
 My thumb of a child that nuzzled in my palm?--
 To run under the hawk's wing,
 Under the eye of the great owl watching from the elm-tree,
 To live by courtesy of the shrike, the snake, the tom-cat.
 
 I think of the nestling fallen into the deep grass,
 The turtle gasping in the dusty rubble of the highway,
 The paralytic stunned in the tub, and the water rising,--
 All things innocent, hapless, forsaken.
-- Theodore Roethke